I could be mistaken about this but it could be because Philosopher's Stone is used in some quarters as slang for Whisky. I know of an Irish drinking song that actually uses the term in that context.
We are the Knights who saaaaay...Ni!
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2011 10:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] A Suggestion for SCW

Hi Dark,

Actually, from what I've read what happened is when Joanne Rowling
sold the rights for the first Harry Potter book to Scholastic they
were bound and determined to name the book Harry Potter and the School
of Magic. There was a furious argument between Joanne and the
publishers, and they eventually settled on a compromise. As it turned
out the title they agreed upon was Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's
Stone. Exactly why Scholastic insisted on a name change nobody really
knows, but apparently Scholastic felt that the original name of the
book was inappropriate for American children or some such non-sense.
Either way that's what I've heard, and explains why there are
esentually two different versions of the same books.

Cheers!