Hi tom.

In terms of startrek I agree, but I'm afraid I totally disagree about harry potter and character deaths.

I find I am far more engaged with books, films or tv series where the characters are not safe. Where any event can be life threatening, and kill, or profoundly change a character.

During my first go through of deathly hallows, ---- and even before that in books 5 and 6, I actually found myself really and seriously bothered everytime a life threatening or dangerous situation turned up sinse there was no guarantee the characters would get out of it alive. For me there is nothing less interesting than a really predictable plot where you know, ---- oh look, the hero runs into the burning building and just gets off scot free by some freak survival.

Jk Rowling took this even further, by having an absolutely realistic level of danger where even a miner confrontation or change could be crytical.

There aren't many authors or series I know that managed to get this level of absolute realism into their work or make you care so much about characters when they go through profound changes.

Tad williams, jk rowling, and Ian M banks are the authors that most come to mind for this, as do the series babylon 5 and more recently being human.

This is however very ot so I'll stop.

Beware the grue!