Hi Dark,

True. That's one of the reasons why Harry Potter etc became very
popular. The endings of her books were pretty shocking. We have Sedric
Diggary dying in Goblet of Fire, Serious Black dying in Order of the
Phoenix, Dumbledore dying in Half-Blood Prince, and lots of deaths in
Deathly Hallows. I agree with you that J. K. Rowling is a good author
for not following the predictable path of all the heroes getting out
alive. I also admire her for not following the lead hero marries lead
heroine path.

I don't know if you remember this but around the time Goblet of Fire
came out there was a huge internet debate on who Harry Potter would
fall in love with. There was a very very large group of people who
predicted Harry would fall in love with Hermione, and so there was a
huge slue of fan fic with Harry and Hermione romantic based
storylines. I suppose given Harry was the main character and Hermione
was the lead female character that conclusion wasn't out of the
question, but I always thought Harry and Ginie would make a better
couple. As it turned out that's exactly how J. K. Rowling played it.
Ron and Hermione got together and Harry and Ginie got together at the
end of Deathly Hallows. I felt she ended it right, and didn't do the
predictable thing of Harry and Hermione which was the popular view for
a long time.

Cheers!