Hi Bryan,

You'll find that C# .NET, called C-Sharp, is very very easy to learn.
C# .NET is essentially a simplified version of C/C++ that is closer to
Java than C++ in design. While it retains the C-Style syntax etc
that's where the similarities end. One reason C# is so easy to learn
and use is because the .Net runtimes like .Net Framework and Mono have
hundreds of base classes that wrap all the low-level APIs for the
operating system. For example, on windows if you want to create a
Window using the Win32 API you can include System.Windows.Forms.dll
into your project and have full access to the GUI through one quick
and easy class library. On Linux if you want access to the Gnome GTK+
API install the GTK+ .Net libraries and use System.Windows.Forms.dll
to create native Linux GUI applications. It really simplifies things
like GUI programming, and brings it down to a beginner level.

Another huge advantage of C# .Net over languages like true C/C++ is
string handling. In C/C++ depending on the type of string you need
such as an ansci or unicode string you will have to use different
character string types which gets royally confusing for a beginner. in
C# .Net that's not a problem at all. The Main .Net library,
System.dll, has a class called String. As the name implies its intire
job is to store strings of various types, will convert them from ansci
to unicode behind the scenes, and you have various class methods to do
complex tasks like get the length of the string, to cast a string to
an integer, ffind out the characters at the beginning or end of a
string, etc. The Mono/.Net Framework String classes simplifies
handling strings in so many ways I can't list them all here.

Anyway, as for accessing Sapi that is no problem. Sapi is a Windows
com component which means the dll file can be imported and used by any
programming language that supports Windows com. Microsoft's .Net
Framework supports com so it is no big deal. Just include it in your
C# .Net project and then initialize it like any other class object.

HTH