Hi tom.

While I agree about keeping the lables off switches and statues, I do agree with Phil that there should be an indicator when the time runs out, eg, a door slamming sound or an extra lever sound or similar sinse this just helps the player to know how long he/she has next time he/she presses the switch, and also determine whether their at the right statue too late or the wrong statue for that switch when multiple statues are in range of the same one.

Prince of Persia, Kirby Superstar, some of the interesting bits of Mega man x 5, and I presume games in the tomb rader series very much followe this pattern, especially when the switch puzles got very complex requiring multiple switches to open multiple gates all to be pressed at once before you go through them.

Beware the grue!