Dark,

Why are you blaming Nextup.com? They don't make the Scansoft voices.
So I don't know why you are calling them mean. If you want to blame
someone blame the developer, Nuance, who produces the voices.

As far as good voices I would also suggest cepstral.com who have
decent voices for Mac, Linux, and Windows and are actually aware that
screen readers exist and try to support as many products and platforms
as possible.

You might also want to look at the Ivona voices I think
Ivona.com
who has some of the best Sapi voices on the market right now. I know I
have a couple of their voices and they are excellent.