To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] MOTA beta 19 released!

Hi Phil,

Yeah, the laser scope makes things easier. The panning issue really
isn't a big issue with that. That's what I meant by its ok with me
because if I'm not sure I can enable/disable a targeting beep.

Anyway, with DirectSound sounds are panned from a range of -10000 to
1000 and in FMOD Ex sounds are from -1.0 to 1.0. I thought if I
created a formula to convert DirectSound pan settings to FMOD Ex pan
settings it would work. Nothing doing. While FMOD Ex can and does pan
sounds its not nearly as smooth or realistic as DirectSound. However,
I'm personally willing to forgo DirectSound's panning just for the
ability to write games on Windows and Linux giving me the option to
use either one. However, I'm far from finished looking at how to
improve the panning here.

Hi Thomas,
I forgot you put the targeting scope on s to help you when the monsters got
in range.
So that makes the panning glitch not as critical as I thought.
I had a similar problem panning sounds with the GMA engine for Vista and
windows 7.
I solved it by panning sounds in doubling steps.
instead of panning volume 100, 200, 300, 400, etc.
I used 10, 20, 40, 80, 160, 320, etc.

Phil

-----
No virus found in this message.