Hi Bryan,

Well, the mistake Jacob is making and has made is by setting a date or
time period to begin looking for the game. If by chance he misses that
do to a real life situation, issue, etc people aren't going to be
inclined to believe him regardless of how real the delay is. He should
have told everyone the game is done when it is done, and quietly began
shipping keys and downloads before announcing its final release. That
way it was in some peoples hands before the news broke.

And yes, unfortunately, people are that vain that they will keep their
e-mail client open all day, check it every five seconds, in the hope
it will appear on the next send/recieve. When they don't get it in the
time they think they should get it they begin making noise and
complaining loudly they have been scammed.

Sheesh, I have personally been accused of the old scam theory myself.
After 19 betas of Mysteries of the Ancients many still think it is a
scam. I'm never going to release anything, never finish it, and nobody
will get their money's worth  and so on. Their welcome to their
opinions, but when I release it they'll just have to eat their words.

Cheers!