Hi.
The network speed actually doesn't matter that much. I played on a 56k dialup connection for years. Only with a slow connection you have to be careful that nothing else is running and slowing your network response time down or you could end up getting killed because you lagged out during a particularly tricky fight. The primary concern is the network's latency rather than to it's data throughput speed. The more latency your connection has, the longer it takes to get a response from Alter Aeon, at least to a certain point. Eventually you'll be more or less unable to go any faster because you're able to go as quick as Alter Aeon itself can. A lot of connections typically seem to have a latency of about 60 ms, at least that's what you get if you run the ping command on google.com. Me I am out in the country and the only kind of internet I can get is celular, and I have a ping response time of about 150ms and I don't have much trouble playing.

Of course, when your network is working hard to accomplish a task elsewhere, it'll introduce latency especially if it isn't a very good connection to start with because the mud client and Alter Aeon have to wait for their turn to exchange packets since the network is busy moving data for other things at the same time. In other words you probably already know this but it's possible to slow things down by downloading something at the same time you play so be aware of that if you weren't already.

Alter Aeon and your client communicate only in a low bandwidth text message like situation, the sounds the client uses are usually stored locally on your computer so even though you have audio, text messages are causing those sounds to be played either with or without the intent of the mud game itself. There are probably lots of bits and pieces of text not being displayed on screen but which the client you use has prevented from being displayed on the screen and played a sound or spoken an alternate message for instead. I think you already understand this stuff, but in case you or anyone else on the list don't, this might hopefully help.

Sent with Thunderbird 3.1.10 portable.