star conquest was by far the best space mud I ever played, and I played it hard for quite a while. They have a mining game built into the main system for earning credits, that is in itself a real blast to play, the only command and conquer style game i've ever seen in a mud. If you join up, I highly recommend you go with The Fringe for your alliance, last time I was there, far less know it all jerks in the Fringe than the other alliances, and a much tighter community overall. I would also recommend you check out VIPMud for your client. Its designed with accessibility in mind, and there are a lot of custom scripts, sound effects etc. for it that really enhance the experience. I don't have direct info to the mud on this system but google will turn it up.
  Good luck,
 Che