Hi,

Hmm...I don't know. I just know that many of the side-scrollers
produced in the 1980's for the Atari, Colleco, and NES, all pretty
much started with the main character on the left hand side of the
level, and he/she moved right until they reached the next level. Lots
of games were like that. Smirf Rescue, Double Dragon, Mario Brothers,
Legen of Kage, you name it all pretty much stuck to the basic format.
You Walked right, jumped over pits, chasms, lava, man eating plants,
etc while avoiding some enemies scattered throughout the level.

HTH