Congratulations on beating mission 2 on normal.  :D

I can see that I have a lot to respond to in this post, so I might as well take
it as an opportunity to update people on what I've been doing for the past week
and a half.  Real life has been doing a great job at keeping me off of the
computer for the past week.  I haven't had nearly enough free time to sit down
and code, so everything has been taking much longer to get done.

I'm still determined to get certain features added, so rather than focusing on
a single thing I find myself jumping back and forth between 4 or 5 major
projects within castaways.  I've been working to get mission 3 finished,
territory wars multiplayer finished, the translation code finished, hunting 2
very persistent bugs that have been eluding me for several versions, and I've
been trying to get a system in place so that you can rearrange priorities for
your settlement.  If I could get myself to pick any 1 of these, and focus
entirely on it, I would have had at least some of them done during this long
period of time.  lol!

I may have finally killed the vanishing resource bug as well as the bug where a
doctor would sometimes heal an injury without using cloth.  Believe it or not,
the two bugs were actually caused by the same problem.  Without going too much
into the coding specifics, there was a glitch that allowed the doctor's place
of residence to go unchanged once he was assigned as a doctor.  Lets say, for
example, your doctor had been a peasant or worker originally, and he had been
either constructing or carrying supplies to your ship.  His focus building,
stored in a variable tied to the person, was set as the ship.  When switching
over as a Doctor, it was supposed to reset to the Hospital but this glitch
wasn't going that.  Now, when he would normally be draining bandages from
building resource slot 0 at the hospital, he is now draining lumber from
building slot 0 at the ship as he heals people!  If it had been any other
occupation I would have spotted the bug
 faster, but the only time this strange behavior would happen, was when this
bugged doctor would fix someone's physical injury!  That doesn't happen very
often, and I've Still! never had the vanishing resource bug happen in front of
me.  I've only ever experienced it through people sending me saved games of
before and after it had happened to them.

That was such a crazy bug to figure out, that I'm still celebrating.  Often
times you need to sit back and assume that all of your existing bugs are
linked.  I was trying to imagine every possible scenario when suddenly it hit
me!  After checking the code, sure enough, there was an error in the code for
reassigning a doctor's focus building.  Yay!

Ok that was quite long, I didn't mean for it to be lol.

In mission 2, Tome production is pretty much a niche product.  You aren't using
leather for anything else, so it doesn't make as much sense to develop that
branch unless you have free time.  In mission 3 you will use leather for more
things, so tome production should be easier.

Cloth will always be a bit tricky, but that's intentional.  Now that the doctor
glitch is hopefully fixed, things might be more stable with yarn and cloth.
After more testing, I may lighten the requirements for cloth production a
little.  Once tasks can be prioritized manually, it might be even easier to
keep cloth coming in.

The alt keystroke ideas sound pretty good, and I've tossed them onto my list of
things to add.

When it comes to fog of war and scouts, I think it would be a bit too
complicated to make that kind of low level change at this stage in the game's
development.  It would fundamentally change everything in the game and it's
probably way more work than its worth.