Hi,

Oh, I wouldn't say that. There are decent SAPI 5 voices as well. They
just don't come with Windows like the SAPI 4 voices did. The Cepstral
voices, for example, have similar effects to make the voices sound
robotic, add echo, etc so that feature is still available in SAPI 5.
As I recall an application can add those special effects simply by
providing SAPI 5 with the proper xml or ssml tags. Its just Microsoft
decided not to have default special effects presets with the SAPI 5
versions of Mike, Mary, Sam, and Anna like they did for the SAPI 4
voices. So let's not blame SAPI 5 itself for not having feature x. Its
there, but may or may not be active in voice x.

Plus I've looked at the Windows 8 beta. The new SAPI 5 voices that
come for the OS for Narrater are better than what comes with Vista and
Windows 7. They are based on the SAPI 5.5 API  which has some nifty
extras for more specific control over speech output via ssml tags.

Cheers!