Hi Chris,

Well, there were actually several different versions of Elite, but all
have the same basic story or goals so I'll give you a generic
description of the game.

As I recall basically you are something of a priviteer picking up
contracts as you go, and get rewarded for carrying out certain
missions.

In one mission you might dock at a space station, and you are warned
that the sun is about to go nova. You can dump your cargo, and try to
rescue as many people from the station as possible. If you do you get
bonus credits you can put towards ship upgrades or buying another ship
altogether.

In another mission the galactic military is being attacked by a
stealth ship, a cloaked enemy ship, and the galactic military will
higher you to hunt down and destroy the cloaked ship.

In another mission the Thargoids--the main bad guys in the game--swarm
and takeover a space station. If you attack and destroy the station
you will be given a reward for stopping the Thargoids invasion.

There are various missions like that in the game. Some are rescue
missions like the first one i described and others are strictly
military in nature like the second and third examples I gave here. Not
only that but you can mine moons, asteroids, and planets for minerals
like silver, gold, and platnum you can sell for ship upgrades or a
bigger and better ship. So its got a mining and trading feel to it as
well.

Which brings me to one of the best features which is the game has
several classes of ships you can buy and use to carry out missions. If
you didn't have the credits for a newer and better ship you could
perform minor upgrades like swap out that wimpy pulse laser for an ion
cannon, buy more powerful shields, and a docking computer to automate
docking with other ships and stations.Basically, think priviteer in
space and you'll get the jist.

Cheers!