hi.
its good to get a newby on here.
I am known on the audiogames forum as crashmaster.
you should join the forum at forum.audiogames.net.

Bgt is the toolkit for games its an engine made by blastbay at www.blastbay.com
If all you want to do is make games then this should cover you.
It costs 35 or so to compile free games and a bit more to licence 1 or more games depending on what you want.
Running games from source is always free and a lot of us use that system.

Then there is autoit, you can't really make anything bar simple games with that but its a basic scripting language. Then you have python which is also good though I don't know much about doing that. Then there are things like c sharp and c++ visualbasic dotnet and vb6 which is quite old.

If all you want to do is text based games maybe stories on www.kaldobsky.com/audiogames there is dark grew which I have not bothered with fully yet but still it exists.
Thats most of the main ones.
There is the quenton c playroom but I forget the url for that.
Now www.kitchensinc.net has a load of games like monopoly football and others.

Allinplay.com and www.blindadrenaline.com have some stuff to.

http://www.audiogames.net and www.pcsgames.net have game lists.
I think thats about everything.