Hi Jacob,

Interesting. Do you know if iOS 5 comes with PyGame for game
development or just a stock Python runtime/interpreter? If so that
might be the easiest way to write and port games to the iPhone as
Python and PyGame is a pretty simple combo compared to other game
programming solutions. Plus its very cross-platform making it easy to
create games for multiple operating systems.

As for beginning with Python I have mixed feelings on that subject. As
you know I'm a pretty die-hard C/C++ developer so from my perspective
C++ is the ideal programming language for me personally, and I've
never really taken to Python myself. However, to be fair to Python it
is probably the easiest place for a new game developer to start
programming. because it takes a lot of the complexity out of
programming such as data typing your variables, don't have to worry
about pointers, don't have to worry about terminating every statement
with a semi-colon, etc. Basically, all the things newby programmers
seem to have troubles with. Unfortunately, my feeling is if newby
programmers don't get use to data typing their variables, terminating
statements, using opening and closing braces, doing this or that,
they'll still have troubles with it whenever they want to try another
language like Java, C#, C/C++, Perl, whatever. Its a good idea to get
grounded in standard programming conventions earlyh on, but I've
personally found a language like Python rather lax in teaching those
conventions because in Python the aim is ease of use not teaching
standard programming conventions. However, Python is a great language
for quickly prototyping a game or application, and it is so portable
its easy to write apps for Windows, Linux, Mac, some smart phones, etc
as Python has a huge list of supported platforms and operating
systems. Its really replacing Java as the language of choice for
cross-platform development these days. So starting out with Python as
a beginner language is a trade off between features and standard
conventions.

Cheers!