Hi Jessica,

Basically, an Easter egg is just some kind of unlockable content that
is triggered by a specific action or by reaching a certain point in a
game.

For example, let's take Pitfall. there have been a number of games in
that series. Most of the newer games have an Easter egg where if you
do something special in the game it will unlock the original Pitfall
game and you can play the classic arcade game as a bonus level. Its a
secret feature that can be unlocked thus its an Easter egg.

That's not the only kind of Easter egg, but just an example of one
that comes immediately to mind. Easter eggs can be anything the
developer throws in as extra content for fun or some secret feature
that can be unlocked. In short, its a surprise feature not advertised.

Cheers!