Hi Tom.

I agree totally on save states and instant respawns, but myself I do enjoy having save points somewhere in the game simply because they give the chance to make the game longer.

super castlevania or the Mario games on super mario all stars save to the start of the world. this was great sinse it means you have the challenge of completing three or four levels just on your lives, but if you finish them your rewarded by knowing you've got one more rung up the ladder and can effectively stay there as far as your progress goes and don't have to restart again.

This for me was always my favourite use of saving, saving at specific points in the game only to make the game longer, but stil giving you the challenge of ocmpleting a certain amount of the game on just the lives you have before saving again.

I personally would've liked to see a game like Shades or Sarah save only when you've finished a stage, say by having the save point at the exit, or having specific save points in the game the way Super metroid did so that you have to actually run back t each of them in order to save your progress.

Beware the grue!