Post note: I had originally intended to put this post in the main thread,
but it got so far afield I figured I better change the subject line.

Hi Tom,
In the era you and I came from, gamers weren't lazy because they couldn't
be. We had situations where you had to start completely over because the
technology/memory wasn't there to save progress. Even then, though, there
were plenty of ways to start where you left off--passwords, save points, and
continues come to mind. In Super Mario Brothers there was the "hold A and
press start" trick that let you start at the beginning of the current world.
Granted you lost all your points, but at least you didn't have to begin
again like poor old Michael Finnegan.
And let's not even get started on the Game Genie/Game Shark.
In today's situation, the bar has lowered significantly. Quick-saving allows
you to start exactly where you left off. In games like L.A. Noire, you can
skip a mission automatically if you fail it too many times. In the latest
Mario title, if you're playing 2 player and you die, the other player can
play through the level until they pass the hard part, then pop your bubble
and respawn you instantly.
So are blind gamers lazy? Maybe, but not any more so, I think, than
mainstream gamers. Most blind gamers never grew up in the "get better or go
home" era that you and I did, and they never had to face the frustration of
running out of continues. Gamers and blind gamers don't have that hurdle
anymore, and I think the industry has suffered for it.
Even so, if you never put in "Justin Bailey" to get all the cool weapons and
see Samus in her bathing suit, I'll eat my keyboard.
Best,
Ryan