Hi Tom.

Well on the egypt front myself, perhaps I can offer some information sinse I visited egypt in 2009.

The tombs I saw were generally like very long stone passages sloping downwards into the earth, but also were very narrow in comparison to their length (though stil perhaps 20 feet wide). obviously built out of stone with plaster on the walls, this made them have more of the sound and feeling of a passageway in a church or castle, than an underground cave.

Both the shape and the wide entrance way There was a distinct wind current from the entrance down to the lower chambers, rather than things being inclosed.

Admittedly, we never got to garza, just did the valley of the kings and the temple of Karnak sinse we were crusing up the nile from luxaw so things there in the really huge pyramids rather than the smaller tombs might be different, but that was certainly my own experience.

What really impressed me was the size of the sarcophagus.

in films and such you imagine them to be about the size of a large table or a king sized bed, but in actuality it was more the size of a large truck, but calved all over, ---- and sinse we had a very nice guide, i also got to handle some of the calvings too.

As I said to get the affect, any stony passage in a large building built of plane stone such as a large church or cathedral or a castle would do provided the passage was deep inside the structure, though you might have to add some sand and water sounds just to get the effect of ruins.

While sound is indeed a major problem, I do sometimes wonder if those old bbc radio techniques for sound creation might be helpful, eg, getting a large sheet of stiff plastic and waving it to create thunder, using bubble wrap for a fire effect etc, not to mention getting humans to do your monster growls and noises, (something which even modern audio drama companies like big finish continue I'd be glad to help with this myself).

in the bbc lotr, Shelob was played by an actress with a litle bit of reberb, who sounded great!

Beware the grue!

dark.