Hi. You are correct. Even the variable names are usually stripped from the program when compiling.
On 2/17/2012 1:16 PM, Phil Vlasak wrote:
Hi Jim,
I think when a game is compiled, the compiler strips the rem, remark
statements and comment lines out of the executable.
Early on Carl was putting a lot of them in a game written in C plus plus for
DOS, so I could read his code. I compiled the game with and without the
extensive statements and there was not a single byte difference in the size
of the .exe file.
Maybe today this is different but I would think not.
Phil

To: "Thomas Ward" <Gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 5:58 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Python and Interactive Fiction

Hi Thomas,

Yep, well, there is no Jim Kitchen the third, so I don't plan on some one
taking over the Kitchensinc games.  I know that partially because of
starting out only being able to use two letters for variable names and
because space was limited, I have always been conscious of size of code
and later sound files. I know that it really is no longer a problem, but
I do hate to waste space.  Plus typing less is a good thing for me.  I
would probably not like to be some one else trying to read my code though. And heck as I have mentioned, many of my VB6 games were converted from dos
games and thus actually still have line numbers from BasicA and GW Basic
instead of line labels like Quick Basic, VB6 etc can use.

Every once in a while I will add a comment line in my code, but usually it
is just a temporary place marker and I go through and delete them when I
am finished with that bit of code.