On Jun 1, 2011, at 7:16 AM, Dalibor Topic wrote:

> On 6/1/11 4:03 PM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
>> On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 15:55 +0200, Dalibor Topic wrote:
>>> "Openness of the supporting infrastructure" does not imply that the source
>>> code for it must be open source.
>>
>> Right, that is why there currently is a danger that is could be
>> implemented using closed proprietary code. Which would be a bad thing
>> for contributors. So we could fix that in the bylaws by making sure it
>> does imply that.
>
> Trying to mandate open source infrastructure for a cross-platform project
> would be a self-defeating idea.

Yeah, I'm scratching my head on this one. Windows and Solaris of course come to
mind, and many of the tools we use on those proprietary systems.

We need the freedom to use all the best tools possible, and as long as the core
infrastructure
tools have access that is free and open, I don't see finding and using the best
tools as a bad
thing for contributors.

-kto