2011/6/1 Mark Wielaard <m...@klomp.org>:
> On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 15:55 +0200, Dalibor Topic wrote:
>> On 6/1/11 12:10 PM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
>> > The bylaws say that there should be "An assessment of the openness and
>> > transparency of the development process and its supporting
>> > infrastructure", but don't really describe sanctions. Currently there
>> > are a couple of proposals for infrastructure changes (bug database,
>> > code review framework) that are in danger of being implemented using
>> > closed proprietary code.
>>
>> "Openness of the supporting infrastructure" does not imply that the source
>> code for it must be open source.
>
> Right, that is why there currently is a danger that is could be
> implemented using closed proprietary code. Which would be a bad thing
> for contributors. So we could fix that in the bylaws by making sure it
> does imply that.
>
> Thanks,

I agree although I don't necessarily think that having fully open code
for the support infrastructure is really a "must have" requirement
(although I hope for this move of course, all things considered).

As it has been pointed out many times, data availability is by far
most important, and the focus of this section should on this concept.
We need to be sure that we can use bug entries and that we (as
Community and as single members) own the data introduced in the same
way we can use and access the code itself. I think people should to be
able to link in their code a sentence or a snippet from a bug entry
without any risk whatsoever.

Cheers,
Mario

--
pgp key: http://subkeys.pgp.net/ PGP Key ID: 80F240CF
Fingerprint: BA39 9666 94EC 8B73 27FA  FC7C 4086 63E3 80F2 40CF

IcedRobot: www.icedrobot.org
Proud GNU Classpath developer: http://www.classpath.org/
Read About us at: http://planet.classpath.org
OpenJDK: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/caciocavallo/