Thanks for the comments! I'll let Mark Reinhold continue
to address those about definitional and procedural details,
but here are a few notes about others:

On 06/01/11 06:10, Mark Wielaard wrote:
The qanda tries to explain why some of these changes weren't yet made,
but some of the explanation was somewhat unclear to me. It says that
"this reduces the near term risk carried by the corporations
represented on the Governing Board". What are these risks precisely?

I don't think there is an answer to this that doesn't entail
non-public business plans (that I don't know) within each of the
competing companies. The best we can do is make rules amenable to
change if these  (and perhaps additional competing companies)
re-assess risks.

Isn't there a danger that these companies completely dominate
the board otherwise since they already provide the most "resources"
and so by definition of meritocracy the most members?

Note that the membership and voting rules are such that
almost nothing can happen if more than one
non-appointed GB member objects. As others have pointed out,
this isn't a full safeguard, but I think it is enough.

I wanted to better explain why the OCA is not balanced, but I can no
longer find a copy.

Hmm. Me neither. I've heard that an OCA revision is soon
forthcoming, so maybe that's why.

To address your later points about it: I don't think
there are any plans to remove the non-reciprocity properties
of OCA itself; i.e., that by contributing, you do not
automatically get the right to distribute non-contributed
parts of OpenJDK or builds. Oracle still requires separate
negotiation of distribution rights. A lot of things having
little to do with OpenJDK per se would need to change for
this to happen, so I don't expect any near-term progress on it.
Although it would be nice if there were a better explanation of
how anyone could go about getting such rights, and nicer
still if there were a simple standard way for non-corporate
contributors and researchers to get permission
to distribute non-branded experimental test releases ant the like.

The community bylaws talk in several places about "the OCA or its
equivalent". What makes something an equivalent to the OCA?

I think this is just a safeguard to avoid the kinds of problems
encountered when the SCA became the OCA.

Something I missed while reviewing previous drafts is that there
doesn't seem to be a definition of contribution and/or how/which code
gets integrated into a project. One could assume that the OCA (or its
equivalent) defines that. But, even if you accept that as guiding
principle, those are for new original works. But OpenJDK often sees
contributions of code that are not covered by that definition. Like
the periodic import of util-concurrent, the jaxws drops, etc.

I don't see how this is an issue? For example, we let
java.util.concurrent settle elsewhere (under different
packaging) before integrating, but still contribute it under OCA.

While looking at the trademark license I was surprised to find version
1.1 at http://openjdk.java.net/legal/openjdk-trademark-notice.html

Thanks for the reminder about adding discussions about
revisions of this to GB todo list!

Currently there
are a couple of proposals for infrastructure changes (bug database,
code review framework) that are in danger of being implemented using
closed proprietary code. This would effectively make it impossible for
contributors to implement effective code changes to this
infrastructure.  The licenses section should explicitly also
cover the infrastructure code used and deployed by the project. These
are tools developers will have to work with every day, and so they
should be free to change, adapt and share their modifications to them
with others to make their usage more effective.

I confess that I don't have any good ideas about this, so
have stayed out of that discussion, hoping that others do.

-Doug