On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 10:03 -0700, Kelly O'Hair wrote:
> Yeah, I'm scratching my head on this one. Windows and Solaris of course come
> mind, and many of the tools we use on those proprietary systems.

Sure. If you are targeting code for a proprietary platform for which
there are no working free tools. But do note that this too will drive
away contributors for who it might be impossible to even freely use and
share the tools to use. Just look at the number of Windows contributors.

> We need the freedom to use all the best tools possible, and as long as the
> core infrastructure
> tools have access that is free and open, I don't see finding and using the
> best tools as a bad
> thing for contributors.

I totally agree with that. As someone who loves hacking on core
infrastructure tools like mercurial, bugzilla, buildbot, httpd,
mediawiki, etc to help the community get things done, it is clear why I
am pushing for making sure this core infrastructure is free software.

Cheers,

Mark