On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 11:24 PM Tom Tromey <t...@tromey.com> wrote:

> Jason> Someone mentioned earlier that gerrit was previously tried
> Jason> unsuccessfully.
>
> We tried it and gdb and then abandoned it.  We tried to integrate it
> into the traditional gdb development style, having it send email to
> gdb-patches.  I found these somewhat hard to read and in the end we
> agreed not to use it.
>
> I've come around again to thinking we should probably abandon email
> instead.  For me the main benefit is that gerrit has patch tracking,
> unlike our current system, where losing patches is fairly routine.

Indeed.  Though Patchwork is another option for patch tracking, that glibc
seem to be having success with.

Jason> I think this is a common pattern in GCC at least: someone has an
> Jason> idea for a workflow improvement, and gets it working, but it
> Jason> isn't widely adopted.
>
> It essentially has to be mandated, IMO.
>
> For GCC this seems somewhat harder since the community is larger, so
> there's more people to convince.

Absolutely, but now with the office hours it seems more feasible to build
momentum (or see that there isn't enough support) without having to wait
until Cauldron.

Jason