Thanks Ciro! yeah I saw that patch right after I posted.  Haven't tried it
out yet though as I got it to work by adding those two hacks to the
SConfigure file.  I'd probably prefer not to do the gcc rollback since part
of what I'm doing is getting this up and running for some lab assignments I
want to run on College supported linux boxes at my home institution.
Hoepfully once the patch gets pushed all this becomes moot...
Paul