Speculation on the monetary gain definition of fraud is lots of
fun. However,  we all know fraud has a wider meaning as
two dictionary definitions show.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fraud
1 a : deceit, trickery; specifically : intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right
b :  an act of deceiving or misrepresenting :  trick
2. a : a person who is not what he or she pretends to be : impostor; also : one who defrauds : cheat
b :  one that is not what it seems or is represented to be

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fraud?s=t
noun
1. deceit, trickery, sharp practice, or breach of confidence, perpetrated for profit or to gain some unfair or dishonest advantage. 2. a particular instance of such deceit or trickery: mail fraud; election frauds. 3. any deception, trickery, or humbug: That diet book is a fraud and a waste of time.
4. a person who makes deceitful pretenses; sham; poseur.

I think most people who were victim of some false
email pretending they engaged in obnoxous or
illegal behavior would say the email was a fraud
and the person who sent it was one too..