On Jun 5, 2011, at 3:45 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 10:30 PM, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org> wrote:
>> On 6/5/11 16:50, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

>>> Thanks for expressing my feelings so well, Niall!
>>
>> I'll lend a voice to the contrary.
>>
>> I can't see why splitting a community should be a factor in entry to the
>> incubator. Just about every new open source community is trying to pull away
>> developers from another community doing similar stuff. That's the nature of
>> the beast.
>
> True, but when its essentially the same software, rather than
> different software solving the same problem? If I proposed a new
> project that was a fork of the HTTP project, how would that go down?

If you proposed a new project to implement the HTTP server in Java and got a
community around it I'd vote +1.  I wouldn't join because it wouldn't scratch
any itch I have but I wouldn't stand in the way.

>> For me, getting the OOo code fully available under AL is reason enough to +1
>> it as far as I'm concerned...if I were on the IPMC... :-)
>
> License is important, but thats not all the ASF is about. Community is
> important too. I respect you're right to vote however you wish but if
> all its down to is license then I'm not sure.

I care about end users. If my employer wanted to build a product that required
ODF and was going to be delivered to a desktop I am 100% sure I would not be
able to use LibreOffice. They would happily consume Apache Office.  Community
is important to me, but only in the sense that a successful community can be
built here.

Ralph