On Jan 2, 2012, at 11:15 PM, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2012 10:51 PM, "Ralph Goers" <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>
>> Greg, I do not care one bit how much commit activity happens at Trac. As
> long as there is some kind of active community it is improper to fork it
> without their permission.
>
> Eh? You ever read the "rules for revolutionaries" page? The basic concept
> is: don't try to force two communities into one; when separate visions for
> the project occur, then separate them.
>
> I don't see it as our place to *judge* communities. If it is a fork, or a
> corporate spin-out, or a move, or brand new... All Good. We provide a
> temporary home in the Incubator to see if it can become a good, proper, and
> healthy Apache community. We don't turn them away a-priori based on their
> history.

Greg, this seems to be so much B.S as it apparently serves some particular
interest you have.  A PMC I am on had this exact conversation with board
members several months ago regarding a code base the project is dependent on
that is housed outside the ASF which we were considering bringing in as a
subproject. We were told that under no circumstances could we fork the code
without the "owner's" blessing, regardless of what the license allowed us to
do. To me, this answer is black and white.

> In my mind, the Trac core has slowed, and it needs revitalization and a new
> vision. Others may disagree, and do, and that's fine. But I don't think it
> is fine for us to make judgements of communities (or nascent ones!) who
> want to try something new. To pick up and go in a direction that others are
> not heading, or do not have the time to make.

I have no idea what you are saying. You ARE making a judgement on a community
by saying it isn't active enough and deserves to be forked.  Again, some of
your fellow board members have said the ASF isn't the place for that.

Ralph