On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 8:11 PM, Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 02/29/2012 01:33 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> > No project should be allowed to graduate without solving all issues
> > pertaining to marks. It's a failure of the incubator in the past for
> > allowing other projects to do so. I'm shocked it was allowed.
>
> This is not a trademark issue.  Package names are subject to fair use.

It might not be a trademark issue per say, IANAL, but the package namespace
of another entity like a corporation belongs to them and at a minimum
should be respected. Of course this is not an issue as I said before if
that entity gives written permission to use their namespace. That fixes
this aspect of the problem.

I can't go off and mirror the namespace of Foo Co. without causing some
form of damage with the powerful distribution channels the ASF posses. Now
no one in their right mind would do that here (I hope) but potentials for
collisions are probably going to happen in the future.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex