On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 9:53 PM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <a...@toolazydogs.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Opps, I didn't see that Arvind concluded the vote.  I still stand by my
>>> opinion that there
>>> are some things that are not solely up to the people that are doing the
>>> work.  Complete
>>> migration to the the org.apache.* package space is one of them.
>>
>> No worries. I respect your opinion and if Apache feels that this is
>> important enough to make explicit then certainly Sqoop should make the
>> changes. Short of that I don't see why we should hold Sqoop to a
>> higher standard than is expected of other Apache projects. (that's
>> _my_ opinion ;-) )
>
> Right.
>
> Basically the graduation vote by the IPMC is about determining whether
> the PPMC is capable of conducting itself according to the Apache Way
> and Apache policies on it's own. I didn't have time to look deeper
> into Sqoop yet, but all the +1s in this vote suggest that the Sqoop
> PPMC is ready to take on that responsibility. Along with that
> responsibility comes the right to make value judgements on topics like
> this where existing policies aren't clearly spelled out.

Thanks Jukka. In fact, Sqoop already has a plan in place to completely
remove com.cloudera.* namespace from its contents via the next major
revision of the product. The work for that has already started and
currently exists under the branch sqoop2 [3], tracked by SQOOP-365
[4]. We hope that in a few months time, we will have feature parity in
this branch with the trunk, which is when we will promote it to the
trunk.

[3] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/sqoop/branches/sqoop2/
[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SQOOP-365

> Personally I think we should let the vote result stand with guidance
> to the new Sqoop PMC to discuss the matter with the branding team at
> trademarks@ to seek Apache-wide consensus. I encourage anyone who
> feels strongly about this (the point being made clearly has some
> merit) make their case to trademarks@ as it's IMHO not really the task
> of the Incubator to be forming new policy on this, especially with all
> the recent talk about scaling down the ambitions of the IPMC.

This sounds like a great solution that addresses the concern and does
not unduly penalize the Sqoop project. On behalf of Sqoop PMC, I will
be happy to take this up with the branding team and trademarks@ to
drive a definitive resolution. I also volunteer personally to discuss
and seek Apache-wide consensus on this issue for not only the benefit
of Sqoop, but for other projects who may be in this state inside or
outside of the Incubator.

Thanks,
Arvind Prabhakar