On 30 October 2012 20:18, Florian Holeczek <flor...@holeczek.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> taking this out of the Celix vote thread in order to keep it tidy.
>
> Sebb wrote:
>> The file documents/Celix.graffle does not have a license.
>
> In JSPWiki, we have a .graffle file, too. Although this is XML, I consider
> this a binary file, just like a JPEG image for example. It's the document
> format of Graffle, a graphics software for Mac OS X.
>
>> I agree that the download problem is not a blocker for the release. Until it
>> is fixed, I suggest adding a note to any vote e-mails to warn reviewers
>> about the problen.
>> Using wget, I was able to download the archive, sig and hashes.
>
> The problem underneath is: When the browser tells "Accept-Encoding gzip" in
> its HTTP request header, it can be that a .gz download gets gzipped again.
> Although the server correctly responses with "Content-Encoding gzip", the
> browser may not handle this download correctly and save it double gzipped to
> disk. So you end up with a file .tar.gz which in fact is a .tar.gz.gz format.
> Gunzipping this manually leads to the correct data.

> So,
> * there isn't any real data corruption and
> * it seems to be at least not only the server part which is to blame here

www.apache.org does not gzip-encode the response even if requested,
which is why the browsers work OK there.
However, I suppose some mirrors might behave differently.

The problem is that many browsers and other clients don't handle
"Content-Encoding gzip" correctly.
The curl program has a --compress option which requests gzip and
handles the response, but even that fails to handle CE: gzip if
requested using -H "Accept-Encoding: gzip". Oops!