At 8:00 PM -0400 10/17/01, Scott Tacares wrote:
>I don't care if he was here before time and space there is no excuse! He
>does damage to the entire open source community with his crude and
>unjustified remarks. It makes people shy away from participating in fear
>that he may belittle them, this is just unacceptable! PERIOD!
>
>Two years ago, I decided that I would not ever contribute to any project
>that jon was apart of because of his piss poor aptitude and judgment and to
>this day I have not, which really sucks for me, because I want nothing more
>then to so.

I'm generally just a lurker here, but I have to speak up here and say
that I agree with this.  I think Jon is USUALLY spot on with most of
his opinions, but I'm not here to argue about if he's right or wrong
about Apache-related business.  My problem is that he's rude.  He
seems to go out of his way to be rude and to speak his opinions, no
matter how correct, in a very harsh manner.  He asks why people get
defensive about what he says?  That's because he's being OFFENSIVE.
I also agree that I would never want to be actively involved in a
project with him simply because his presence is a deterrent.  Not
everyone has as thick of a skin as others.  This does not make them
less valuable to the community, but it does make them less likely to
want to speak an informed opinion if they think that Jon might be
ready to jump on their head if he disagrees with them.  This seems
like a net loss all around.

I believe it's possible for Jon to be just as useful to the Apache
communities without him having to act in a way that's going to drive
people away from him.  Jon can manage to be both extremely
informative as well as (relatively) polite.  He made a post at
11:19AM PST that if he would have made at the beginning of this
discussion, might have avoided this entire thread.  Instead, he
questioned the motives of the developer offering their code, implying
that he was being selfish in wanting to have the Apache group take
the project in.  This was obviously not his intent, and to imply that
his motivations were selfish is something I simply cannot understand.
His main point that the project doesn't satisfy the requirements for
being an Apache project is probably correct, but the manner he chose
to point this out seemed hostile to me.

Jon, it wouldn't kill you to be polite.  If someone says or does
something that you don't agree with, please consider taking a deep
breath, having a beer, smoking a joint.  Whatever.  Just calm down
and take a moment to word your response in a way that doesn't make
you look like the list's resident ogre.  If then, after your first
polite reply, they still don't "get it" by all means, go in with guns
blazing.

Avi Cherry