Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

>>> Heck no.  .NET/c# why would I want to use an even more proprietary thing
>>> to get back at SUN?  Heck no.
>>
>> You sure it is more proprietary? I believe our PMC head actually sits as head
>> on one of the standardization efforts for C#s core libraries. With the recent
>> change to BSDL/MIT licensing with one of the opensource runtimes things are
>> starting to look interesting.
>
> Can I run it on Linux?  Will a WORKING non-broken version ever run on
> Linux.

Peter is correct.  A few links (you can see my name in the first one):

   http://www.ecma.ch/ecma1/MEMENTO/TC39-G3.HTM
   http://www.ecma.ch/ecma1/NEWS/NEWS.HTM
   http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2002/02/04/mono.html
   http://www.ximian.com/devzone/projects/mono.html
   http://www.gnu.org/projects/dotgnu/
   http://www.halcyonsoft.com/news/javadotnet.asp
   http://www.microsoft.com/partner/products/microsoftnet/SharedSourceCsharpCLIFAQ.asp

For those who don't know me and might perceive this as an endorsement, I
have worn Microsoft shirts to JavaOne (just ask Pat Sueltz), and NetScape
shirts to the Microsoft PDC (just ask Dick Hardt or the MS VP in charge of
Hailstorm who's name escapes me at the moment).

Note: there are some people who view open source implementations of .Net as
controversial as, say, open source implementations of popular MS file
formats, for pretty much the same reasons.

For my part, I have no interest in "sticking it to Sun".  Or to Microsoft
for that matter.  I simply want to see more of us working together.  That's
why I integrated PHP and Java.  That's why I created Gump.  That's why I
participate in these standards.

- Sam Ruby