Here is the short answer.
Always say "Boss I think this will take a little refactoring of some code.
I should be able to reuse the most of the code.
I will only change what has to changed, and I will make sure that the
changes are isolated."

Then do you whatever it takes, including throwing out ALL THE OLD CODE.

It's your reputation regardless.  You will not be able to say "My manager
wouldn't let me do it right"
They will always say "If you knew it was the wrong approach, you should have
come to me so we can discuss it with your manager.

R,
Nick