On 10/7/02 9:56 PM, "Martin Cooper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> From: Jon Scott Stevens [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>>
>> on 2002/10/7 5:41 PM, "Martin Cooper"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Of course, I know Velocity fans won't like this any better,
>> but if you bring
>>> the JSP example on that page up to date, using JSTL, you'll
>> have this:
>>>
>>> <c:choose>
>>> <c:when test="${empty param.name}">
>>>   Hello World
>>> </c:when>
>>> <c:otherwise>
>>>   Hello, <c:out value="${param.name}"/>
>>> </c:otherwise>
>>> </c:choose>
>>
>> I dunno about you, but I would much rather teach my
>> non-programmer designers
>> to type:
>>
>> #if ($foo)
>>  Hello, $foo
>> #else
>>  Hello World
>> #end
>
> You mean this, taken from the page, don't you?

> <h1>
> #if ($request.getParameter("name") == null)
>  Hello World
> #else
>  Hello, $request.getParameter("name")
> #end
> </h1>
>
> At least if you're using JSP/JSTL, you don't have to explain method calls to
> your "non-programmer designers".

I was trying to stay out, but this *always* comes up in these discussions,
and I think it's somewhat disingenuous.  First, you have a similar thing in
JSTL, and one added and desginers who work with JavaScript on the client
side get method calls.

It's not differnet than

>> Than the bunch of pseudo XML programming language junk you quoted
>> above...ouch, my hands hurt just looking at that...oh wait, people are
>> supposed to use GUI drag and drop for all of that
>> stuff...yea...right...
>>
>> Oh yea, should I mention that Velocity syntax has remained
>> unchanged since
>> it was first released as 1.0 (back in April 2001)? I wonder
>> how many times
>> JSP/JSTL/Struts/FooBar syntax will need to be brought 'up to date'...
>
> I see no syntax changes, only new tags and attributes.
>
> --
> Martin Cooper
>

>> WAKE UP PEOPLE.
>>
>> -jon
>>
>> --
>> StudioZ.tv /\ Bar/Nightclub/Entertainment
>> 314 11th Street @ Folsom /\ San Francisco
>>         http://studioz.tv/
>>

>> --

Geir Magnusson Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                    +1-203-355-2219 (w)
Adeptra Inc.                                         +1-203-247-1713 (m)