Berin wrote:
|  Even when Quick and Dirty takes longer.  I tried to convince my boss
that
|  a certain "customization" required so many fundamental changes that it
would
|  be quicker and easier to develop/maintain if we did it right.  He told
me
|  that he would never be able to convince the CEO that was the right
choice,
|  so the "Quick and Dirty" route was the choice--taking me twice as long
|  get it done.

Preferred pain is a known pain with an experience-based cap.

New and improved pain may promise an average POI (Pain-on-Investment) that
is 50% of the familiar pain, but will be assigned a risk profile with
unknown maximum pain.

If your previous experience confirms that max(NewPain) <= max(OldPain),
then go ahead and implement NewPain, but make it look like OldPain.  If
max(NewPain) turns out to be >> max(OldPain), you're on the hook.  But you
would have first hand experience to make the call, whereas your boss (and
definitely his boss) would not (or they wouldn't object in the first
place).

One successful implementation of NewPain where max(NewPain) <=
max(OldPain), while delivering promised improvements, will set a precedent.
 But someone has to take the risk.  And it won't be people twice-removed
from the pain.

...  in my (painful) experience.

Rich