On 3/14/06, Torsten Curdt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ...regarding the forums - naaaaa. What does that help?

Judging from myself, users don't like to have to subscribe to mailing
lists, especially when they don't need the list on a daily basis. E.g.
I would hate to get every question and answer in the Spring forums as
mail. I'd much rather check the forums every once in a while.

> I hate the fact I always have to subscribe to forums and
> never liked the interfaces.

You misunderstood: Patrick told me that the 'special' feature of the
system that they use at OpenQA is that it can be used both as a
mailing list (e.g. for the developers) and a forum (for the users if
you want). Therefore, you'd register at a mailing list just as before
and have nothing to do at all with the forum-view, but users could
instead use the forum (and thus won't get all the - for them - noise).
And the system automatically maps between the mailing list and the
forum.
That being said, I don't know how powerful the system is, e.g. if it
would support a 'schema' like the tagging used for the commons mailing
list ([beanutils], [lang], etc.) and would be able to sort mails into
the corresponding forums automagically.

Tom