Firstly, thanks for these emails Sandy. It's a good wake up call for me, and I should explain why I'm being so anti-community.

We're out of sync with the ASF - I'm pretty confident that the view that was reached a few years ago that Jakarta should not be a huge umbrella has not changed. If anything it has been strengthened by time and the weakening of the Jakarta community.

The chair role is that of a bridge. They must pass information to the board/ASF from the community, and to the community from the board/ASF. My pushes for reforming how do we do things are the latter - they're my ideas, but I check every now and then informally with other asf members (individually and via the members IRC channel) to make sure I'm not going too far. Hopefully you'll see that I'm not that tied to my ideas - if there's not a lot of interest, I'll dump them and come up with new ones :)

The other half is to then see what conversations happen and consensus builds. People are quite against moving votes to a common list for example, but they're less against having no walls in svn (just a couple of -1 opinions so far). So I'll be dropping the former and asking for votes on the second.

And yes, I don't know what I'm doing :) We're pretty good at having unique problems in Jakarta - I don't think Web Services and XML have quite the separation of internal communities that we have.

One possible consensus may have been that we wanted to remain separate - in that case I'd have to be asking the board for a whole series of different things. If we remain highly separate, I think we need to be able to delegate subproject oversight far more clearly than we have so far - and that's something we pretty much decided not to do a few years ago when there was lots of debate. As it is, I think we're pretty split on the separate bits, and new TLPs are probably a better solution to some of those desires to remain independent.

Not that the above is meant to be complaints - this stuff is very interesting to be thinking about; but hopefully it gives you a bit of an idea of my reasons and direction so it seems less sly.

Replying inline about the particular issue: