1.11.2005, 13:26:57, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:16:03 +0100 Thierry Carrez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> | For them to know about it, they need to be warned when they do their
> | "emerge -p world" or "emerge -a mysql" that the upgrade is not as easy
> | as it seems. People using a cron job to sync are probably a
> | significant part of our user base...

> Have Portage give a red flashy before emerge if there're unread news
> items?

> Although, a better solution for users who cron sync would be to have
> said cron mail them all the relevant news files...

Uhm... emerge sync is a *bad* time to display upgrade messages, it's simply
irrelevant at that time, I'm not upgrading anything at the moment and might not
be upgrading for next week or so.

The messages should be displayed when I'm about to upgrade an ebuild which has
an upgrade note associated with the new version. Sending mail via cron might be
a nice optional feature for those who want to use it.

--
Best regards,

 Jakub Moc
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 GPG signature: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95  B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E

 ... still no signature ;)