Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 13:39:24 +0100 Jakub Moc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| Uhm... emerge sync is a *bad* time to display upgrade messages, it's
| simply irrelevant at that time, I'm not upgrading anything at the
| moment and might not be upgrading for next week or so.

It doesn't display the messages. It displays a note saying "you have
unread news items".

| The messages should be displayed when I'm about to upgrade an ebuild
| which has an upgrade note associated with the new version. Sending
| mail via cron might be a nice optional feature for those who want to
| use it.

Not really a good idea, a) because news items aren't tied directly to
ebuilds, and b) because people like advance warning of "when you
upgrade Apache, all hell will break loose!" rather than having it
sprung on them suddenly when they're trying to do a quick update.
Getting the news item in advance allows for planning.

Personally, I'm for both. E-mailing cron output is a relatively simple operation. Adding a red flashy deal to emerge saying hey, package X has an unread news item, also simple as long as the read/unread format is non-complex. Having emerge --news, I dislike emmensely. We have emerge --changelog, and contrary to what someone posted above, it shows up whenever you specify -l. However changelog does have it's fair share of problems, mostly people who don't use the correct changelog format and break the tagging, causing -l to display nothing.

If you want to make a seperate program to read the news, go for it. I don't see why we have to stick silly things in a core utility. emerge is a package manager, it does not do your laundry too.

-Alec Warner (Antarus)