On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 08:34:25 -0500 Alec Warner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
| Personally, I'm for both.  E-mailing cron output is a relatively
| simple operation.  Adding a red flashy deal to emerge saying hey,
| package X has an unread news item, also simple as long as the
| read/unread format is non-complex.

Checking for unread news items is just a case of checking for the
existence of files in a particular directory.

| If you want to make a seperate program to read the news, go for it.
| I don't see why we have to stick silly things in a core utility.
| emerge is a package manager, it does not do your laundry too.

Well, I see no reason for Portage itself doing anything beyond basic
news message filtering and installing and alerting that there are
unread news messages.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
Mail            : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web             : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm