On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 18:34 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Friday 09 June 2006 16:35, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> > This is the "official" (hehe) request for comments on making a policy of
> > how to handle ebuilds than can be used for either client or server and
> > how to allow for building client-only.
>
> rather than moving to some sort of policy that satisfies no one completely
> and
> we'll have to back out of later, why dont we wait until portage can give us
> proper support for USE=client/server

Got an ETA?

The situation we have now is confusing, at best, to our users, and
something really should be done to resolve it.  Waiting another 6 months
to a year, only to be able to use it with the particular portage
versions that support the proper EAPI for use-based dependencies is not
an optimal answer for our users, which is why I came up with the
proposal.  Honestly, I don't care *what* is decided, so much as I want
to spark conversation and see *some* resolution come of it that is *at
least* consistent until use-based dependencies are a reality.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead