On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 01:24 +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
> Do we read -client -server and +client +server to mean the same thing?

We could, yes.

> If so the logic can read
>
> if use client || ! use server ; then
>     # build client
> fi
> if use server || ! use client ; then
>     # build server
> fi
>
> How does portage stop us from doing that now?

It doesn't.  The problem comes in with the dependency resolver.  The
only solution to this is checks using built_with_use in pkg_setup, which
is discouraged except where absolutely necessary, as it causes all of
the dependencies to be merged (incorrectly, possibly) before there is a
failure.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead