On 2/4/08, Donnie Berkholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 20:11 Mon 04 Feb     , Jonas Bernoulli wrote:
> > Thinking about it again I would say tags and categories just fulfill
> > different purposes. Tags can not replace categories but might be a
> > useful extension to categories for the tasks I described, not more not
> > less. They are not better or worse, just different:)
>
> Why don't you think they can replace categories?

Quick answer: Because there are packages with the same name in
different categories. How would tags deal with that?

Long answer: Well maybe there is a way. But I think that it would
probably take a long time to make such a change. Technically tags
could probably replace categories but then their would be no definite
"full" name for that package anymore.

Someone calls it foo/app and someone bar/app, and since there is also
fuu/app which is a different application but with the same name,
nobody would no for sure about package is being taked about without
checking if his beloved foo/app is the same as bar/app the other guy
is talking about. Also how do you sort the packages in the tree? all
in one directory?! every package in the directories of each tag it
belongs to using hardlinks?

-- Jonas