Hi

baselayout-2 was renamed to openrc when Roy left Gentoo as an official dev.

Answering my own question (for the record). I found some explanation here:
http://lycos.dropcode.net/gregarius/author.php?author=Roy_Marples__uberlord_

Does Roy hang out here? Roy: Is this intended to be a baselayout replacement? How likely is this to be on-track to become a "gentoo official" baselayout? Do you (try to) support busybox and vserver environments?
Don't know. Yes. Very. Yes & Yes.

Excellent - this is exciting to hear

On the other hand since there still isn't a masked ebuild in portage (and I seem some notes on my on Roy's site) then I have to assume that in fact we are still a good way away from calling it a replacement and starting to push it out to users?

Would it not make sense to start to snapshot some builds and push openrc out for testing? (Seems like a gentoo job rather than an upstream is the reason I ask here?)

Cheers

Ed W