Roy Marples <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted [EMAIL PROTECTED],
excerpted below, on  Fri, 29 Feb 2008 17:07:17 +0000:

> On Friday 29 February 2008 16:15:51 Ed W wrote:
>> On the other hand since there still isn't a masked ebuild in portage
>> (and I seem some notes on my on Roy's site) then I have to assume that
>> in fact we are still a good way away from calling it a replacement and
>> starting to push it out to users?
>
> It's actually been very stable and usable for a long time. It's not, and
> never will be a 100% drop in replacement for everything baselayout
> provides, but it's very very compatible.

Is direct upgrade from previous baselayout-2.0.0-rcX going to be
supported?  I was running that for some time and just now added and
upgraded to the via layman version.  There's a blocker, of course, as
openrc is now providing most of the files that baselayout did.

The problem is that unmerging the old 2.0.0-rcX baselayout in ordered to
resolve the blockage is SCARY, since it leaves the system basically
unbootable until the new setup is merged and at least basically
configured.  There's also the issue of not knowing for sure just what's
going to still be around in terms of config files and the like, since
unmerging baselayout isn't exactly an everyday thing.

FWIW, I took the jump anyway, and the etc-update seemed to go reasonably
well, but I've not rebooted yet...