Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:45:37 +0200
> Tiziano Müller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> And why don't we change the versioning of the EAPI to a "X.Y" scheme
>> and demand that changes in the minor version must not break sourcing
>> of the ebuild with older package managers and that major versions do.
>> Major version numbers are written in the postfix, while minor version
>> numbers are written in the ebuild itself as EAPI_MINOR="1". So, the
>> current EAPI 1 would then be in fact "0.1".
>
> No point. A 0 package manager still couldn't use a 0.1 ebuild.

That's true, it has at least to be aware the there's an EAPI.
But how does such a package manager handle .ebuild-0 files? Ignore them?
Failing because of unknown files in a package-dir?
Should we care about package managers not being aware of the existence of
EAPI's?

The advantage of the above would be that we could gradually implement new
(not-breaking-sourcing) features incrementing the minor version. Avoiding
big chunks of changes (which usually means greater risk).