On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 12:43:05PM -0700, Robin H. Johnson wrote:

> > > 3. If you want the default assignment to go to a maintainer, and NOT
> > >    the herd, move the <herd> element further down in the metadata.xml!
> >
> > I disagree about this point. IMHO the procedure described in
> > <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/bug-wranglers/> makes more sense:
> >
> > # When the file [i.e., metadata.xml] lists multiple entries, then you
> > # assign the bug to the first maintainer, and CC the other
> > # maintainer(s) and herd(s).
> See now, here I disagree. If you review the v1 proposal, there was a LOT
> of resistance to your assignment procedure there, primarily from teams
> where this produced a lot of spam.
As an addenda, from v1, different teams and developers DO want different
behaviors:
1. Assign to herd, CC all others (eg: GNOME, base-system)
2. Assign to first maintainer, CC herd and others (eg: net-mail)

That was deliberately why I had logic about using the order in the
metadata.xml file, with the addition that later duplicate entries of an
email would override the first one.

Your generic rule of (assign to first non-herd maintainer, CC rest)
doesn't fit all of the cases.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy